Freemasons Hall stands on a small part of the vast estates in Derbyshire, Staffordshire and other parts of the country formally owned by the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Marquis’s of Anglesey, the Duke of Richmond.
In 1870 a parcel of land bounded by Ashby Road, Stapenhill Road and the brook where Scalpcliffe Road now exists was leased to Miss Mary Malkin.
In 1880 under the will of Mary Malkin the property was conveyed to Mr William Pickering.
In 1882 the property was assigned by William Pickering and his Mortgagee to J R Morris, a Master Cooper.
In 1907 it was mortgaged to Henry Goodger by Robert Morris.
In 1915 there was a conveyance, and in 1923 a further conveyance by the 6th Marquees of Anglesey to J R Morris.
In 1924 the road widening of Ashby Road removed some of the frontage adjoining that road.
In 1931 there was a conveyance by Mrs J R Morris, the widow of Mr J R Morris to Freemasons Hall Ltd (Freemasons Hall Ltd. Was formed by lodges 353, 2630 and 3962 for the purpose of obtaining suitable premises for use as a Masonic Hall. Tutbury Castle Lodge subsequently withdrew and did not re-join until 1946). Ashfield House and its grounds were purchased for the sum of £2,250.
In 1936 there was an agreement for a tenancy of part of the property for the garage site in Scalpcliffe Road.
In 1964 the lower ground was contracted to Shellmex BP Ltd.
The original building was erected about 1875 as a gable fronted residence, with some outbuildings to the southeast. The large stained-glass window on the main staircase bears the initials M.M. A large unused cistern for the collection of water still exists below the flooring of the kitchen.
After the purchase of the site and building by FMH in 1932 construction of the Temple to the south of the house was commenced and the dining room enlarged internally.
The building was officially opened in 1933.
Part of the gardens to the rear were built up and turned into a parking area and the tennis court turned into a bowling green in 1936.
In 1938 the first extension to the dinning room was undertaken and a storeroom built.
During the war the building was requisitioned by the US Military and not reoccupied until 1947.
In 1975 the dinning room was again extended and in 1976 the Staffordshire Lodges moved from the Town Hall to Ashfield House.
In 1986 the robbing room was added and the road around the bowling green constructed. In this year there was a fire in the upper part of the old building and in the reconstruction the upper Temple was formed.
The premises are now home of 10 Craft Lodges and 20 other decrees and orders.